the funny thing is, is that there's not really a back in which to snack. i'd say it's more of a snack-in-the-galley-kitchen-spilling-into-the-hallway-and-sometimes-into-courtneys-cubicle.
either way, i like to come up with a lil something homemade whenever it's my week. and today happens to be my snack day, so i've made one of my favourites - orange chocolate-chip muffins.
1 whole medium-sized orange
1/2 cup of orange juice
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup white sugar
- preheat the oven to 375F.
- cut the orange into pieces and remove the seeds.
- put the pieces in a blender (vintage model as pictured above optional) with orange juice and whirl (yes, that's what it actually says in my recipe book. whirl.) until finely chopped.
- drop in the egg and softened butter. whirl it again. yep - whirl it good.
- stir together the dry ingredients. if it tickles your fancy, sifting everything together but the sugar makes it a lil nicer - but is by no means absolutely necessary. whatever floats your boat.
- pour the orange mixture over the dry ingredients and add in the chocolate chips. Stir only until moistened.
- at this point, if i'm feelin saucy, i like to add some more chocolate chips.
- fill muffin cups halfway full with batter; bake for 15-20 mins at 375F.
makes 12 muffins, so you may want to make extras because they'll go quickly.
a word to the wise, though - this recipe tends to work best as a single batch. if you need to make more, don't just double the ingredients on a wing and a prayer ... do it in separate bowls for best results.