2.5 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup of vegetable oil
1 1/4 - 1 1/2 cup of buttermilk
- mix all dry ingredients (except sugar)
- now, you may add the sugar. don't ask questions - just add. shh. trust me.
- add oil and buttermilk; stirring well before adding to dry ingredients (it'll separate if you don't)
- mix well
- place about 1/4 cup of flour on a clean countertop and placing ball of dough in the centre, and knead with the heel of your hand. the dough shouldn't stick to your hands - if it does, add a little more flour.
- Form into a cylinder shape and then cut into 4 portions. from there, flatten each portion of dough out into a round cake, approximately 1/2 - 3/4 " thick. (you don't want to go much thicker than this; thicker loaves won't cook all the way through)
- bake on a griddle at 325F for approximately 10-15 minutes each side. Colour should be a dark golden brown when cooked.
we cut them down the middle, and then again into smaller slices lengthwise... but i suppose you can slice 'em whatever way that suits your fancy.
you can serve them with butter or jam; whatever floats your boat. personally, i like the simplicity of butter because it lets you taste the subtle flavours of the bread, but either way goes well with tea. delish!
(mike oh-so-kindly took a picture of the loaves that i made earlier this week before they got gobbled up. thanks mike!)