27/05/2009

feeling a bit bookish

i was going through a few of my old posts and found this one from last may, and it's astounding really how many of them i haven't gotten to yet. given that i've just received a promo email from chapters for 20% off all of their books in-store, i felt it was high time to review and re-prioritize my list.

here we go!


all things slow:
01. beyond 9 to 5: your life in time by sarah norgate
02. the age of speed: learning how to thrive in a more-faster-now world by vince poscente {yes, i know this seems interesting given my slow living penchant, but i like to know what's going on in The Other Camp if for no other reason than for informational purposes}

i haven't read either of these books, but they're sort of at the bottom of my list in terms of priorities so it's a-ok.

new on the list (and a bit higher up, too) is under pressure: putting the child back in childhood, carl honore's newest book. if you loved in praise of slow, this one looks to be a promising extension of slow living to the parenting world.

green, green, and green. (and a bit slow too):
03. the world without us by alan weisman
04. deep economy: the wealth of communities and the durable future by bill mckibben
05. cradle to cradle: remaking the way we make things by william mcdonough & michael braungart
06. building the green economy: success stories from the grassroots by kevin danaher


again, it seems i had high aspirations last year. i haven't read any of them, but deep economy is sitting on my bookshelf, waiting patiently for it's turn. (don't worry lil guy, i'll get to you soon enough!) the others are still definitely on the list.

this year, i've added michael pollan's new(ish) books, the botany of desire and second nature: a gardener's education.

for pensive digestion:
07. the omnivore's dilemma by michael pollan
08. in defense of food by michael pollan

09. stuffed and starved by raj patel.

i read both of the pollan books; love love loved them. they're most definitely worth the hype (and so, so informative!) i'd received stuffed and starved for my birthday last october, and now that i'm done in defense of food, it's next on my hit list.

indulgences:
10. little cakes from the whimsical bakehouse by kaye & liv hansen
11. barefoot contessa at home by ina garten

i received little cakes for christmas; it's every bit as sweet as it looks. haven't had the time to try out any recipes but it's still very pretty. i have boatloads of wish-list cookbooks to add but don't want to overwhelm my list (or myself!). that's for another day.

everybody needs a little fiction in their lives:
12. in her shoes by jennifer weiner
13. the birth of venus by sarah dunant

jess bought me in her shoes for christmas last year - it's waiting patiently on my shelf. i'm saving that one for some vacation reading. last summer i devoured philippa gregory's the other boleyn girl
by the poolside on vacation, and plan to do just the same this summer with this book.

tell me - what's your favourite book? what's on your to-read list this summer?

11 comments:

ARTISANNE DESIGN said...

Wow, that's some list!

Reading 'The Friday Night Knitting Club' right now

Totally love Anita Shreve - Sea Glass (my addiction is all her fault, lol!)

I also love Philippa Gregory... The Little House is great, particularly if you have an evil Mother In Law (which I don't!!!)

Peace x

SleightGirl said...

The Book Thief is on my list to read for my book club...I also have the Other Boleyn Girl waiting on my shelf to read...I've heard it's really good.

Amanda Nicole said...

I am currently reading In Defense of Food, and I can't put it down! So very informative, and I find myself nodding along while reading, with the occasional, "A-ha!"

I'm also reading a Julia Child biography, and have a Beatrix Potter bio sitting in wait. I love how summer is so conducive to reading!

Unknown said...

Wow, that is a list... Good luck on them all. Reading is a wonderful pasttime!

Rachel said...

This is an amazing list!

I can't pick a favorite book, but I have quite a few authors I adore - Ursula Hegi, Louise Erdrich and Margaret Atwood in particular.

Stacey said...

little cakes from the whimsical bakehouse sounds soooo cute!!

Audrey said...

There are quite a few authors I like too. Debbie Macomber, Nora Roberts, Kay Hooper, Kate Wilhelm, to name a few. Hope to get some reading done this summer.

Julia said...

HOLY MOLY girl! What a list!

Right now I'm in the middle of three books:

The Monsters of Templeton
The Host
Up Island

All are great thus far :)

Cindy said...

that is one serious list. i really love 'letting go of the camera' by brooks jensen. it's not a technical guide to photography, but about some of the things photographers go through. like thinking your best work is behind you. it's not.

Adel said...

Top of my list (and shelf) for summer reading are "Sex Sleep Eat Drink Dream: A Day in the Life of Your Body" by Jennifer Ackerman, and "The Alienist: A Novel" by Caleb Carr. My all-time favorite book thus far in my life is "A Scourge of Screamers" by Daniel F. Galouye, which I recommend to EVERYONE (unless you have a particular distaste for science fiction). Happy reading!

katrina lauren said...

that is quite the list! i have been meaning to read the glass castle by jeannette walls. my poor mom has been waiting patiently since christmas for me to read it so that we can 'discuss it...' i guess i haven't been a very good book club partner!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails